Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Hunting With Dick & Harry

I don't particularly want to get bogged down in politics, (I'm sort of a financial conservative and liberal everything else), but I just can't resist this one. As you may know by now, (or not if you live in a cave), our Vice-President managed to shoot one of his hunting partners. Accidentally. I have no problem with that, shit happens, especially when you're a somewhat out of shape, older guy who hunts birds from a car. But here's the stupid part about it. The White House flaks are making all sorts of excuses for Cheney and why his shooting his hunting buddy in the face with a load of bird shot wasn't his fault. And I will concede that either party would do the same thing if their candidate winged a donor, but still, this is just dumb. Mary Matalin was quoted in the paper as saying the Vice-President did nothing wrong. Today they say that it was Harry's fault for not disclosing his location to the other members of the hunting party. Here's the deal: One hunter shot another hunter. THAT'S WRONG!!!! The #1 rule of hunting is that you don't shoot at something until you've identified what that something is. Especially if that something is a 78 year old man wearing blaze orange. There's no arguing that. I'm not saying Cheney should be hauled off to jail, (for this anyway), but sweet Christ, man, own up to an obvious mistake. If the other guy put a bunch of feathers on his head and leapt out of the bushes I could see why it was his fault, but other than that, you pull the trigger, you're the one at fault.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lou Laughlin said...

Limpy,

You and I don't agree politically, but I agree with your comments here. The fact that this situation happened is sad for the guy that got shot... But we have to hear every hour during the news updates, "Cheney this", "Cheney that"... He didn't do this, he didn't do that.. He did this... He did that... It was an accident, he didn't mean to do it, a guy got hurt, let's move on to something worth the news time. Enough with the political posturing on both sides! Find something actually worth posturing over!

7:34 AM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

I think this would have moved on, at least before Whittington had the heart problems, if Cheney had been more forthcoming in the first place. Politicians of all stripes never seem to learn that the cover-up is what gets them in far more trouble than the initial mistake.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Lou Laughlin said...

Not talking to the press within 22 hours of the incident is considered not "forthcoming"?

Ambulances, police, and everyone were on the scene of this remote location within the hour... He most likely had secret service personnel with him which are "law enforcement" officials. So reporting the accident and responding to it probably happened quicker than any of the hundreds of other hunting accidents that happen yearly.

Regardless of what the popular media might thingk, he is human and has emotions. I don't know about you, but if I had just accidently shot someone, the last thing on my mind would have been holding a press conference! Yeah,

It was reported within 22 hours! How long did Senator Kennedy take to report a car accident with a dead body still in the car? How long did it take Bill Clinton to admit he "had sexual relations" with Monica?

Ok I am off my soap box now. :-)

Later
Lou

2:24 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Actually I was thinking more that his flaks, like Mary Matalin, spent the initial time after the shooting came out saying that Cheney did nothing wrong. That was clearly wrong and just made things look worse than they already were. Again, if it were a Democrat I'd think they'd handle it the same sloppy way, except it wouldn't happen to a Democrat because most of them can't hit a target 15-30 feet away. It's a politician thing.

And Lou, if I were married to Hilary Clinton, I don't think I'd be hustling to admit infidelity.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home