Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Origins of Limpy

SoozieQ asked me if it was alright to refer to me as "limpy", as it seemed somewhat emasculating. The short answer is that I use Limpy as my screen name so feel free to go ahead and call it out on these posts. If I felt insulted by it I wouldn't have brought it up for all to see. But thanks for asking.

Limpy is a nickname I picked up in college. That isn't helping any is it? Our dorm had a volleyball net behind it, complete with a sandpit. We would play out there all the time when the weather was good. And generally speaking we weren't exactly sober when we played. Or any other time for that matter. But early in my first year I went up for a spike, which as usual ended unsuccesfully. This time there was an additional problem aside from my general ineptitude at volleyball. The girl playing opposite me, although pretty much the safest person on the court at that point, was intimidated enough by my leap that she bent over at the waist, covered her head, and backed into me. She clipped me on both knees, resulting in my landing awkwardly and severely spraining my ankle. I had a bruise that looked like a sunset for two weeks and was on crutches for pretty much that entire time. A couple of days after getting submarined, I staggered into a party and the host called out "LIMPY!!" The name stuck, as I suppose was inevitable.

While there is a certain downside to going through college with the name limpy, it did act as a pretty good icebreaker and on several occasions, (and by several I mean exactly once), a young woman who should have known better would take the name as a personal challenge and attempt to disprove it. At that time anyway, I was able to rise to the occassion.

But I kept the name.

6 Comments:

Blogger limpy99 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:27 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

I'm an attorney. Which judging from your latest post may not be the best profession you could think of. Don't hold it against me.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Pud said...

Hey, if the name works for you...why not.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So that’s the derivation of “Limpy!” It’s an appealing story. Thanks for sharing it.

4:29 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

YEA! Thank you for the explanation and I'm so glad I'm not insulting you by calling you that.

Yes, I'm blogging from Vegas....what can I say, what happens in Vegas STAYS in Vegas, right? ;-)

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story...and "limpy" seems to have paid off at least once in college ;-) But what did that young woman think, that you were a character in a book by Hemingway? LOL!

soozieq is a riot - what stays in vegas - lol!

hey - I'm a bit curious about the origins of 'pud' myself ;-)

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home