Thursday, February 16, 2006

School Stuff

I went into work late this morning. Well, later than usual anyway. The reason was that I went to my son's school for what was billed as a reading exhibition by his class. I figured that each of the little tykes would get up and read a few lines of Bar-Bar Stampedes A Village or something like that. Instead we listened to the teacher, (who I'd always just assumed could read), read a few pages of a story that I think was about a giant that ate girls. After that the teacher told us that we would each meet with our kids and they would read to us individually. Well, I already know my son can read. He does it all the time. Sometimes things I'd rather he didn't read. But we got together in the corner and he read a story and then we had to make a bookmark. I asked what he wanted to make and he said "a duck with a flamethrower." So being the responsible Dad I am I said "Great!!, gimme the red markers", and set about drawing one. Son says that he's going to get in trouble for that and I said no you're not, because I drew it. And I was thinking the whole time that he'd sure as hell better not get in trouble after the teacher read the whole class a story about child-eating giants. After that we drew more bookmarks ripping off Calvin & Hobbes, which is simply The Greatest Comic Strip Ever, and called it a day. To her credit, his teacher seemed quite pleased with our efforts, although I lost a few points for drawing out of the lines.

Afterwards I was remarking at work that it seemed kind of silly to go to class to have your kids read to you, when you do that with them at home. One of my co-workers pointed out, unfortunately probably correctly, that most kids probably don't do that at home.

The moral of the story is that if you have kids, go out and either read to them or have them read to you. Because I don't want to have to make more bookmarks.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lou Laughlin said...

So do you have a scan of this "infamous" bookmark? Show off your talents!

2:30 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

I am far too computer illiterate to post pictures. Some day perhaps. If you have a second tell me to link to other blogs. I'd like to do that with the folks who stop by here. Thnaks.

2:37 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

Depending on your template (do you know how to find your template? Heh) there might be an area that says "add links here" or something.

Basically what I did was I copied the "edit me" format and put in the links I wanted. That being said, I can't "show" you here in the comments because when I type it in, it just SHOWS your link now the lingo itself.

If Lou doesn't help you, then email me at VeeringOffCourse@comcast.net and I can put the exact code you can use (you'd just have to change it to the people you want to link to as my example will actually be YOUR blog as I'm going to add it to my template right now)

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home