Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Something I Hate

WARNING: FOUL LANGUAGE WITHIN.

There's nothing I hate more, (obviously with the exceptions of war, pestilence, death, famine and their related friends and cousins), than driving around with the radio set on scan and suddenly coming upon the tail end of a great song. It's even worse if I've missed most of it because I settled for a mediocre song farther down the dial, usually out of sheer desparation to listen to something good on the radio. I need satellite radio or something. I try to avoid changing CDs at 60 mph. But anyway, it not only happened yesterday on my way home from work, when I was already sick, (Gosh I'm a whiny little bitch aren't I?), and this time it added an additional insult.

I've got the radio on scan and it hits an oldies station just as The Beach Boys "Sloop John B." winds down the final few lines. Now, I don't particularly like the Beach Boys, but that song is a great one. Bad enough I miss that, but the next song is a request. And the request is from a male, sounds like he's in his 40's, requesting, and I kid you not, "Let's Get Physical" by Olivia Newton John. The DJ asks his name, and lets call him Dick from Dickville, and then pisses me off by not only saying it's coming up next but by not saying "Thanks for the call you frigging LOSER!!!!!" at the top of his lungs before plugging in same AC/DC. God that's annoying.

Let me be clear. If you're a guy and you're in my age group, there is no reason, no reason at all, to be calling radio stations and requesting "Let's Get Physical." I mean, who in their right mind is sitting at home thinking, "I just gotta hear that song RIGHT FUCKING NOW OR I'M GONNA DIE!!!!" Just buy the CD. I'm sure there's few left in the remainder bin. You can hear it all day long in the privacy of your home and spare the rest of us.

Of course, if that's the worst thing that ever happens to me I fully recognize I should just shut up. But I won't. Because then I wouldn't have anything to write about.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even if it is the worst thing to happen today, it's totally rantworthy...I mean, "Let's Get Physical"? Puh-leeeeze!!! I didn't like that song when it was alleged to be hip or cool or in or whatever, and I was 16 or 17 then! I was SUPPOSED to like it, but I refused. I do not follow the crowd unless they're on their way to Starbucks for a free latte.

That caller is a big big time loser....and I thought I was a freak because I heart The Alan Parsons Project and ELP...but I don't call and request it. I bought the CDs.

peace out,
lil sis

2:16 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

I'm thinking that NO ONE needs to hear that song right fucking now (or ever for that matter).

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home