Thursday, March 30, 2006

More stuff I like

Some people post "101 Things About Me." I occasionally pick out a topic and ramble on incessantly. You tell me which is more entertaining. Probably the former, but this is my space so tough shit for you.

Here in Hartford, "Connecticut's Rising Star", (which is something I suspect that Hartford just came up with and Connecticut had no say in), we are haveing the first really nice day of spring. High 60's, little bit of a breeze, bright and sunny. Naturally I'm inside at a computer but I'm getting out of her early. And I'm pretty sure I can get sick tomorrow. This really tells me that spring has arrived, and with it one of my favorite things:

Sex outside.

I meant baseball. Baseball! I swear. (More on that other topic in the summer). I love baseball. I like to play it even though I'm not very good at it. I couldn't hit a curveball with a snowshoe. I like to coach it on the Little League level, even if most of the time my advice boils down to "look, just get your finger out of your nose and try not to hurt yourself". Although at age 7, that's a fairly tall order. I like to watch it on TV, and most importantly, I like to go to games. I will sit in a stadium for hours, (except Fenway, which has the most uncomfrtable goddamn seats anywhere), and watch games. And drink beer. And eat crappy foods that immediately declare war on my arteries and waistline but fuck that I don't care because it's 80 degrees and sunny out and I'm watching baseball!! So shut up arteries and take that third hot dog on like a man, (male artery? whatever), and sit back and watch the game. No other sport compares for the simple joy of sitting outside on a nice day and watching a game. It can't be beat. You're outside. It's nice out. You have a beer. You're with friends. What more could you ask for? OK, fine, sex outside, but I told you that's another post.

Last year I decided my son was old enough to expereince the mecca of baseball, and therefore all sports, and I tossed him in the car and took a three hour ride to....

Yankee Stadium.

That's right. I root for the Yankees. Fuck you if you don't like it. Yes we do win all the time. Yes it is like rooting for Microsoft. I DON'T CARE!!! I love the Yankees. And just so we're clear, I started rooting for them in 1976. And I kept rooting for them through the 80's and early 90's, when rooting for them was slightly less fun that getting a root canal. And I know because I had one of those in the 80's and it really was like watching Ken Clay pitch.

Anyway, prior to his exposure to the Bronx, my son had been to a number of minor league games. We have two really nice stadiums in CT, one in New Britain and one in Norwich. But none in the Rising Star. One of my all time favorite memories will always be the look on his face when I took him up the ramp out in right field, and we came out of the tunnel and into the sunlight and WHAM!!! right in his 7 year old face is a huge stadium with green grass and a blue sky and the New York Yankees warming up right in front of him. That is the first time I have ever seen someone's jaw just drop.

So I love baseball and the New York Yankees and I think Barry Bonds may very well be the Antichrist.

10 Comments:

Blogger Shelli said...

You can love the Yankees all you want! This is your blog and you are entitled to voice your own opinion without discrimination.

Do keep one thing in mind though,
THE YANKEES SUCK!

;) ShelliB from Boston

12:25 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Listen, I've been waiting six years for a World Series; you've only been waiting two years. leave me......hahahahahahahaha

Ahhh, I can't even finish that.

12:50 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Shellibells said exactly what I was going to say, except the "from Boston" part. I would sign it

;) Shari from Washington

1:04 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I'm with you limpy. Not just because you're my bud, I really like the Yankees.

So good. We have each other to complain to when the wheels fall off the wagon...or more like the limbs fall off the old-ass players.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Pud said...

I love football!!! Go Steelers!!!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

I know nothing about baseball....or any other sport.

But I do love to be outside in the Spring, so I'm with ya on that.

Doesn't really matter what's going on....as long as I'm outside!

6:41 PM  
Blogger The Merry Widow said...

Go Stros!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Madame D said...

I am not a baseball fan. In fact, I'm a rugby fan.
I like the beatings, basically.

I can tell it's spring when even I will brave a tank top, and I see someone still in their winter coat.

4:27 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Psssst... Hey Limpy? "*MWA*" is Australian shorthand for a kiss.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember the week I spent in Hartford about 20 years ago. It was the 150th anniversary of the United Church of Christ Board for World Ministers (the old Congregational churches founded the board) and the board was meeting in Hartford, which was far from where the idea for missionaries came into being. As I recall, it wasn’t spring, it was fall—and it was cold.

As for me, I’d much rather read a rambling blog post than a list. But that’s me.

Spring invokes for me not baseball but love—and, of course, sex—anywhere.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home