Monday, April 24, 2006

Is It Still A Felony If You Were Framed?

We had the local poker game over at our house on Saturday night. Since we had the basement refinished my wife likes having people over to use it, even though she doesn't play, and even though we have to use the pool table as a card table. It works pretty well, aside from all the stretching, and as long as people keep their goddamn drinks off the felt, I usually don't blow a gasket.

This is the third time we've had the game at our house over the last few weeks. (If you care about the results I broke even) Also in our basement is a little gardening project that my wife has going on with our daughter. They have three plastic trays of dirt and lilac seeds and they're trying to grow lilacs. Fairly unsuccesfully. But over the last week or so, we've noticed that there are two or three plants valiantly struggling to reach maturity and meet their destiny as full grown lilac bushes.

Or maybe not.

Some of the guys I play cards with like to smoke things that are not tobacco. I personally don't, but I have no problem with people that do, especially when overindulgence leads them to bet that pair of deuces a wee bit heavier than they should. In short, smoking is OK in the basement, just keep it off the table.

Can you see where this is going?

So last Saturday night the wife is showing people the little gardening project and pointing out the lilacs that are struggling up and one of my friends says "Those aren't lilacs." We ask what he means. It turns out that during the last game he was removing some seeds from a pipe and didn't want to throw them on the table, so he just tossed them in the dirt trays. Now they're the only thing growing there.

We removed the plants. I think 5 is a little young to be growing alternative mood remedies anyway.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pud said...

Wow! Your friend sounds like a genius for ruining your 5 year-olds flowers.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmm. I suppose none of your poker buddies is a cop. Of course, from personal experience I could suggest that the pipe smoker might be. Anyway, as my smoking friends tell me, a few plants for personal use is a misdemeanor. Just don’t let the pipe smoker wander through your vegetable garden.

8:41 PM  
Blogger DJ MotorCityMonk said...

When I was in high school I once took over my buddies crop he was growing in his basement. His folks didn't like the idea of him growing pot in his basement so we moved all the lights and about 20 beautiful plants to my basement photographic darkroom and padlocked it shut.

Of course my parents busted me so my pot loving uncle took the plants to his house where his Siberian Husky ended up eating most of the crop. True story.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I love lilacs! Though not as much as I like pot. It is a resiliant little plant that's for sure. Your a bit obsessive about the felt eh ;)

6:58 AM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Nice. You know, the "m3th house" look is really IN right now, too. So if you want to redecorate in the theme, we've got some clients who could act as design consultants.

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home