Thursday, May 11, 2006

Another Thing I Like

Syd was impressed by my knowledge of Dixie beer, which brings up another in my continuing chapters of things I like.

Beer.

Oh, do I love beer. I am an admitted beer snob. I don't like the mass-produced stuff. Most of it has no taste. I think they do that on purpose, because if something has no taste, it can't offend anyone. Which I guess makes sense if you're buying beer by the 30-pack, in whcih case you're not fooling anyone that you're buying for taste. That reminds me of those old Schaeffer ads where they would say "Schaeffer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one", and it started with someone scratching a one on a frosty mug, and then it ended with a person, possibly the same person, scratching a 2 on a different mug. Speaking from personal experience, scratching those numbers on frosty mugs is easy; scratching an 18 on a semi-warm bottle is a real trick.

But back to the main subject, my love of beer. Or, as others might refer to it, my incipient alcoholism. I'll try any regional beer from any region I happen to be in. Anchor Steam in San Francisco. Abita in New Orleans. Narraganssett in Rhode Island, (I don't recommend that one). Sam Adams in Boston, (or pretty much anywhere these days), McSorley's in NYC. If I can find a local brwery, so much the better. I've had great beer at a Cajun oriented brewery in Cincinnati and some foul concoction in a brewery in Houston that I hope has gone out of business. Strangely, I do have a fondness for Lone Star and Pearl River. I like Guinness in the colder months and Sierra Nevada IPA when it gets warmer. I have some friends who home brew some great beer, and some who should just stop trying. I even have a fried who whipped up a batch of "Old Guy Ale" for my 35th brithday party. His wife made me a booby cake. I'll have to find a picture of that.

There's really no point to this is there? Just that I like beer. And I was bored at work. So I'll leave you with the immortal words of Dennis Hopper as Frank in "Blue Velvet":

"Heineken? Fuck that shit! Pabst...Blue Ribbon"

Although honestly? PBR is pretty bad stuff.

8 Comments:

Blogger DJ MotorCityMonk said...

You got a booby cake? Is that anything like a booby prize?

I tried to like beer, I really did. All thru high school and even more in college...until I came to the conclusion that drinking beer was pointless for me. I don't like the taste and it takes way too many to get drunk and once you do get drunk you're too bloated to enjoy your drunkenness.

That's when I realized I drink to get buzzed and when I want to get buzzed and have a good time, vodka is the only way to go. Ketel One on the rocks is my current drink of choice. 3 of 'em usually do the trick.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Pud said...

In college, my sorority once threw a Bad Beer Bash where we hosted the worst beer ever made. Pabst Blue Ribbon was there. It was amazing how many cases of bad beer we were able to buy for under $7 a case.

What is the point of my story? None. I'm just rambling on like yours did. Hope you enjoyed.

7:11 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Black Butte Porter by Deschutes Brewery out of Oregon, or Sam Adams Honey Porter are two of my current favorites, although I'm partial to our local micros -- available, as far as I know, only at the brewery. Anchor Steam is how I survived my first Bar exam, and Sierra Nevada IPA is excellent! My first Sam Adams lager was served ice cold at Old Sturbridge Village, and I've been partial to it ever since.

Aside from Mr. E, I've not found anyone else able -- or willing -- to reflect on beer with me. So you are on my "Beer Friend" list which I am starting right now, tonight.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don’t drink beer often, but over the years I’ve developed an affinity to Irish beer. Then, one of the local micro-breweries, the Bluegrass Brewing Company, came out with their Alt beer. If I can find it, I’ll drink it! Great stuff!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Madame D said...

I'm with MCM. I am not a beer afficionado.
Perhaps this is because of one too many (really, the first one should have been the kicker) Icehouse in college. That, and Lucky. Though, oddly, I could tolerate the Lucky's better, and in Valdez it was $7 for a half rack 9 years ago. (it really was the cheapest possible beer.)
I did, however, develop a lifelong fondness for Corbett Canyon Merlot. Totally different, not safe for commenting story...

10:29 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I didn't actually develop a taste for beer until about 6 years ago. I still don't frequently crave a beer but I do enjoy the taste-Now. When I was real young we always bought either Little Kings (King case) or Mickey's Big Mouth Barrels both of which tasted like crap so it's no wonder I didn't like the taste back then. Now I mainly drink Corona or Michelob.

6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! PBR is awful...but is it worse than Buttwiper? I can't drink enough of either to decide.

I usually go for the really hopsy locally brewed pale ale if I can find one.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

You and my husband would get along great!

He LOVES beer!

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home