Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Can You Spot The Stereotype?

A company in Tullahoma, Tennessee has started marketing one of its prducts, a still, as a way to bring down the cost of gasoline. For $1,400, y'all kin git y'self a still an' make ethanol fur .75 a gall'n.

The company is called Dogwood Energy. It employs a guy named Bumpus and the newspaper article shows, among other things, the shop dog named Sam. The assembly warehouse is located next to a creek, down a backwoods road, and there's a rooster on the premises. In order to comply with the law, (and avoid the rev'noors), a customer has to "promise", (nudge, nudge, wink, wink), to add poision to the brew to make it fit for driving but quite unfit for drinking.

Cheapskates, like me, can get the blue prints for $45 and if they're competent salvagers, can probably use the plans to build their own still for less than a grand. And while I'm obviously having some fun at the Billy Joe Bob stereotypes in this article, I will freely admit that their mechanical abilites will save them a bunch of cash on gas, while my mechanical abilities will only save me money because after I put together the still and blow my house and self sky high in the ensuing fireball, I won't be needing to drive anywhere anytime soon.

7 Comments:

Blogger Madame D said...

Oh. God. That's...
hilarious comes to mind, as well as "um, what?"

1:37 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

Wow, very interesting. If I had my own still I'd be too drunk to drive anywhere anyway....thus I'd save money on gasoline. Win-win actually.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Pud said...

That sounds like something my family in Indiana would create. That article described my uncles house to a T.

2:49 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Go on, Limpy... try it! You've got life insurance, right?? Besides, think of the stories you can tell if you survive. Blog fodder for life.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Madame D said...

I totally agree with Soozie.
Plus, it would have the added bonus of great at-home business.
After all, if you're passed out, you can't drink anymore, and there's bound to be SOME left!

11:27 PM  
Blogger Brighton said...

And I thought the rednecks here in Texas were bad!

3:17 AM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

I knew none of the Alabama rednecks could have come up with that!

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home