Friday, May 26, 2006

A Touching Story of Great Emotional Impact About the New York Yankees

There's a headline you don't see too often. Most stories about my favorite team, (and Greatest Franchise in Professional Sports), usually start with phrases like "Filthy rich douchebags buy another player" and then go downhill from there. Not this one.

My friend Mark went to school with a guy named Joe. Both of them are big Yankee fans and Joe is a huge Graig Nettles fan. Which sort of tells you how old we are. Joe's prized possession was aball autographed by Nettles. As we grew older and started having kids, Joe's wife became pregnant with what would have been their first son. Unfortunately, there was a defect of some kind that essentially ensured the child would be born dead. Which is what happened. At the funeral, Joe tearfully buried his son with the ball.

Mark was at the funeral and made note of this, but didn't say anything. When he got home he wrote to the Yankees front office and relayed the story. Several months later a box arrived at his front door. Inside was a new ball autographed by Graig Nettles.

Remember that the next time someone says how much the Yankees suck.

7 Comments:

Blogger Pud said...

OMG!! That was cool of the Yankees!

Too bad I'm not a baseball fan.

12:48 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Just because the franchise is, um, shall we say, not of compassionate reputation, certainly doesn't require each individual to be lacking compassion in every instance. That's a great, if somewhat heartbreaking, story.

2:00 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

Very cool indeed

9:19 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

That is a cool story, But, considering the Royals just beat them, I'm afraid that "suck" is a word they'll be hearing alot of.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That’s an excellent story regarding the compassion and sensitivity of the filthy-rich Yankees. Thanks for sharing.

Speaking of revealing one’s age, my favorite Yankees have always been Yogi Berra and Mickey Mantle.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Phollower said...

Yep, they're a regular bunch of saints those Yankees. Sorry, I'm a Blue Jays fan and I just can't get myself to say anything nice without being sarcastic. I guess my mom would've told me I just shouldn't say anything at all then.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

It is a nice ending to an otherwise very sad story. I get very emotional about someone losing a child. It's the only thing that melts my icy heart.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home