Tuesday, June 13, 2006

And Your Point Is?

Today did not go well in terms of the trial I have coming up. Contrary to popular belief, (OK, maybe just Toast), I am not an attorney for Baskin Robbins, and I do not try cases that involve 31 delicious flavors. No, I try cases that result from what happens when two cars meet in an unexpected fashion and the laws of physics intervene to cause what we in the business like to call "an accident." Generally I defend these cases, and today was no different. I'll leave out any details, but suffice it to say we were surprised at a settlement conference when the other side suddenly "found" some documents that change the whole complexion of the case. I returned to my office in a foul mood and got a call from home.

My son had been written up for something he did on the bus. At first I thought he'd been in a fight or said something rude to the driver. I came home to find a very official report written up by the driver and a note from the prinicpal asking me to talk to my son about this behavior.

Seems my 8 year old had given another 8 year old the finger.

Now, if you've been reading this blog for awhile you may anticipate my initial thoughts on this. Thoughts like "why is the bus driver watching kids giving each other the finger and not the road?" Thoughts like "This explains why the prinicipal never has time to call my wife back about planning a tribute to a school mother who was murdered." (I'm not kidding). Thoughts like, "I could not possibly care any less that my son flipped another kid the bird on a bus."

When I was in school and we were riding the bus we snuck shots of Southern Comfort in the back. Admittedly that was in 7th grade, but giving anyone the finger was pretty small potatoes. We got in fist fights and Joe the bus driver would just say "fight nice, fight nice" and keep on going. He always said it twice for some reason. And we always got to school.

For my family's sake I had a talk with number one son and told him we do not act like that when in public, unless we're really, really sure that no one's looking, and that we would only have this warning conversation one time. But inside I felt like a complete hypocrite, because I just don't think this is a big deal. I had to sign the report, and I am invited to make comments. So far I am resisting the urge to trace my middle finger.

So far.

13 Comments:

Blogger The Q said...

Don't resist Limpy, don't resist.

I thought if I said it twice, it would have more effect :-)

7:48 PM  
Blogger I'm not here. said...

Trace away!
Trace away!

There, I said it twice. ;o)

8:18 PM  
Blogger Pud said...

Flip the paper you have to sign the bird. Who knows, maybe it will make you feel better.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

LOL.

Do it, Limpy, do it.

Wonder what the little bastard did to provoke your son?

8:41 PM  
Blogger Madame D said...

I taught my son from the beginning-words you use at home, and not anywhere else.
We've moved up to gestures that are okay with mommy, but no one else, because everyone else thinks they're rude.
I mean, if I'm flipping my son off, shouldn't he be able to do it back to me?

1:56 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

LMAO! Would you adopt me Limpy?

That's the stupidest thing I've heard in awhile. Flipping the bird should be a god given right in my opinion.

I had to have a talk with my 8 year old the other day because he kept saying "Jesus" whenever something wasn't going right. All loud and exasperated. Now personally I could care less if he says it, but my mom and grandma would probably not think that was a good thing. So I just told him, I don't care if you say it, but other people might be offended by it, so let's just try not to say it.

6:09 AM  
Blogger DJ MotorCityMonk said...

I would suggest you trace your three middle fingers with the comment "read between the lines".

The first time I heard my 11 year old say "friggin" I thought it was soooo cute. He says stuff like "that show friggin' sucks". While it does sound kinda crude, I guess it's better than the actual "F" word that he hears his mom and dad say with some regularity.

7:18 AM  
Blogger DJ MotorCityMonk said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

OMG! That is just SO stupid!

But typical.....

7:54 AM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

Oh, I just remembered~when I was in 7th grade the school bus driver pulled over on the FREEWAY and made a bunch of us get off cuz we were being too rowdy!

Nothing happened to him and nobody called my dad.

times sure have changed....

P.S. and this was in San Antonio, TX~big city, big freeway...

7:56 AM  
Blogger Brighton said...

Go with your gut.
That is all.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be tempted to take a picture of my middle finger and e-mail it to him.

I was sneaky about all that with mi hija, though - I encouraged her to swear, and like all kids, if mom thought it was okay, then it couldn't possibly be cool, so she found more creative ways to express herself without swearing. It was cute.

But when mi hija was 9 she told me she wanted me to stop dating a guy because, in her words, "he's a total dick." That cracked me up!

4:10 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Oh my. I'd probably be very immature and lecture them about where they could plant a very loud kiss. And then my kid would be banished from school, and the school bus, and I'd have to pay private school tuition, and well, better you than me, I guess. What a pain in the ass.

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home