Sunday, June 04, 2006

I Read Very Goodly

It is nearly midnight on Sunday night and I suspect that I won't be going to bed anytime soon. I took the kids down to my mother's house to visit my sister, who is now announcing that she is with child. My daughter got out of the car and yelled "Aunt D--, you're pregnant with our cousin!!!!", which would have been cute if she wasn't 18. Actually, she's 5, and it was really fucking cute.

While I was there I stole my sister's copy of "Marley & Me", which you may already know since it's on the best seller list and has been for awhile. It's about a couple raising a very badly behaved, and large, Labrador Retreiver. I recommend it. I've had my nose in it ever since the kids went to bed and I'm not inclined to stop.

Not that I'm ruining anything by saying this, SPOILER ALERT, DO NOT GO FORWARD IF YOU DON'T KNOW THIS






but I peeked and Marley isn't going to make it to the end of the book. Which you can tell by the pictures on the back flap and also of the author. He got Marley when he was 22, and, well, he aint' 22 anymore. There aren't many dogs that would age along with him.

I love dogs. I've had to put two to sleep, and those are the only times my wife has seen me cry. And "cry" is a euphemism for bawling my fucking eyes out. There's a passage in this book where the author's wife is going through post-partum and announces that the dog has to go. I couldn't help think that my response would have been "after you", which is just one of many reasons I trend toward the "down-on-all-fours"section of the evolutionary scale. At the same time, however,my dog, the one my wife claims to hate, is not feeling well, (apparently the basted rawhide bone was not a good idea), is currently sleeping it off on my side of the bed, next to said wife. Go figure.

And read the book. After all, reading is fundamental.

Next I'll recommend selected passages from the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe, which I bought myslef three years ago and am slowing working my way through. That should drive up the readership. Sort of like a pledge drive increases PBS viewership.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Q said...

Awww, man! I have that book on my "wish list", but I don't think I need anything that will make me cry! I'm in a very fragile, working too many hours, my body is too old for this, frame of mind right now and I'm 99% sure that book would send me over the edge.

I hope your dog feels better soon. I'd say that Moto sends eyeball licks, but I'm pretty sure that'd piss your dog off AND wake up your wife!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Madame D said...

I generally do my best to avoid shit I know will make me cry like my best friend just got run over, and I must admit, pretty much any book about a pet has them dying at some point.
I hate that I know it's probably a perfectly enjoyable book, but I know better than to start the waterworks, because once I start crying I go for hours and hours and I don't like dehydration.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Pud said...

I know what you mean about loving dogs. I've had dogs all my life and would be lost without my little doggie I have now.

I hope you are not kidding about Edgar Allen Poe. I love his works and have read all of them. I've also visited his house and grave in Baltimore. Okay, I've just outed myself as a big dork.

4:21 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I don't read any books about kids or animals dying. It's actually the only thing that melts my icy heart. And I can't have that, so I just avoid them.

6:46 AM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

JD: Daughter 5, sister 30. Sentence structure bad. My fault.

Pud: I won't be recommending any Poe works, but I am reading his entire works. Great writer, but not the kind of stuff I can just barrel right through. So if you're a dork, that makes me one too.

Soozie, Nonny and Madam: Avoid this book. Marley dies. Everyone is sad.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

I've actually stayed away from that book because "Amazing Gracie" made me bawl my eyes out at the end. I didn't think I could handle another book like that. When it comes to animals I am pretty soft hearted.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home