Friday, July 28, 2006

Thanks for the Mammaries




Apparently there's some kind of controversy over this magazine cover. If you go to cnn.com, you can read all about it. Suffice it to say, some people apparently still get bent out of shape by pictures of boobies. But the reason I bring this up, in addition to wanting to put pictures of boobs on this blog, is that in the article there'sa quote from a woman who is still breast-feeding her 3-year old. Now, to me that's just creepy. I mean, my kids were eating solid food at that age. I understand that breast feeding is the most nutritious food for infants, (the key word there is "infant"), aside from Twinkies of course, but at age 3 I think it might be time to move onto the four basic food groups.

Pizza, hot dogs, McDonald's and ice cream.

And my personal opinion on this entire controversy is that there can't possibly be enough photos of breasts on magazines, unless they're Phil Mickelson's man-boobs, to keep me happy.

10 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I work at an OB/GYN office, so I have copy upon copy of that particular magazine laying around. Also, completely unfazed by the picture of the booby.

I concur, a three year old breast feeding is freaky. The kid is walking and talking after all. That's still not as bad as the episode of Dr. Phil about a women who was letting her eight year old (daughter) breast feed. The eight year old apparently liked the taste, and since she was breastfeeding her newborn I guess mom thought "what the hell"

10:14 AM  
Blogger eclectic said...

I was actually yelled at when our son, who was 2 months old, was nursing under a receiving blanket on a public park bench while our daughter, then 3, played amiably nearby on the play structure. I was told that only a slut or a pervert would remove her clothing around a little kids' playground. My response: Maybe I'm both.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Eclectic: That is horrible. I honestly hope you did say that. Only this country has such Edwardian ideas about sex and such.

10:48 AM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Perverted sluts are the best.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Brighton said...

Oh good gravy, these "offended" people need to get over their damn selves. Seriously, it's just a breast- it's just a baby. Eating.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Madame D said...

When the kid can walk up and ask for it, it's time to stop.
I know, in less developed countries they tend to do it longer because of a lack of basic foods, but that's not the case here.

And, why is it that everyone gets so up in arms about how babies are fed anyway? I didn't breastfeed and got the nursing nazis, and Eclectic got the freak from the other side. We just can't win. I suppose it's time we all took a stand and just refused to feed them anything. When they're big enough to start holding that spoon, then they can go back to eating.

7:27 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Mme. Debarge, you just killed me! Bottles are bad, breasts are bad... Sorry kid, here's a spoon. LOL!

8:49 AM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Oh, and Nonny? I'm a redhead. You bet I really said it. And the responsive look was worth every syllable!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

Three years old is waaaaay too old to be breast feeding.

There is nothing wrong with that magazine cover.

People are stupid!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Shelli said...

Nothing wrong with breast feeding, but if they are knawing on it or flat out asking for milk, god dammit give them a sippy cup. if you want to give them nutrients from the teet, pump it and give them a cup. its the whole teet to mouth at almost 4 years old that creeps me out.

no one will ever bitch about a half naked broad on the cover of maxim, but a baby breast feeding and people lose their god damn minds over it. give me a break!

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home