Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Can You Say "Irony"

This is a actual headline from CNN.com. Clearly having trouble sorting out their news stories.

'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin dies, Al Qaeda official captured

I'm not sure why this was combined, unless the stingray that stabbed Steve Irwin with a poisonous barb was named Omar Bin-sal-A-bim or something like that.

I originally had a longer post in here expressing my thoughts about people like Irwin and their probably inevitable deaths at the hands, (barbs?), of the dangerous animals they can't seem to help from getting too close to. But after reading it I decided it was a little too mean-spirited and, after about an hour of dicking around with blogger, took most of it out. I feel bad for his kids and as a father I wish the guy had had enough common-sense to stop fucking around with poisonous animals after he had kids of his own.

I will say that I don't beleive for a minute the reports that Irwin was not provoking the sting ray before it went after him. Sting rays just don't launch unprovoked attacks on people.

Unless maybe there's more to this whole Al Qaeda connection that CNN has going.

9 Comments:

Blogger DJ MotorCityMonk said...

I heard this morning that only 3 people have ever died from a stingray's barb, Irwin being the third. I hear after he was stung he pulled out the barb from his heart and then died, and they've got video footage of the whole thing!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Pud said...

Monk's wrong! On CNN they said that since 1860 only 17 people in the whole wide world have died from a stingray attack.

Now that is some useless knowledge stuck in my head.

12:57 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Do you mean to tell me that over the last 146 years these damnable creatures have killed 17 people and we haven't eradicated them? I mean, that's a rate of one person every, um, err, ah, 8.5 years!

1:33 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

I could be wrong (I usually am), but perhaps Monk is quoting the Australian deaths....the only reason I think that is because I thought I heard the same thing (Erwin being the third Australian to die)

In any event, when I was dating "Dr. Doolittle" we had a giant aquarium with a sting ray (Sheeba was her name) in it. If ONLY I had known she could have been used to get rid of him (Dr. Doolittle) sooner?!?!?

I kid....I kid....sort of.

3:00 PM  
Blogger CP said...

BREAKING NEWS: Stingray has ties to Al Qaeda.

Washington, D.C. - Recently confirmed reports say that Osama Bin Laden's pet, Osama Bin Stingray, launched an unprovoked attack on the next US Democrat running for office, Steve Irwin. In a little known revelation, Steve had just recently applied for his American Citizenship and, after performing for President Bush, was given the title of Chief Executive Officer after Steve showed him the "Alligator Stomp". Sadly, Al Qaeda sources heard about this transaction and the underwater plot was put into play.

The Stingray is currently being held for questioning at an Australian zoo. A witness, Salamander Hussein, is also being sought for questioning.

More as the story unfolds...

CP.

3:27 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

CP, that's some funny shit!

Mostly I'm just sad for Irwin's family, no matter how it happened.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Headlines are supposed to draw attention to the article: I wonder if CNN thought it needed to combine the two events? Nah! Probably some quick-fingered typist not paying attention.

I agree: stingrays usually do not launch unprovoked attacks on people. However, Al Qaeda does.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Since when do you put the brakes on being mean spirited? We all know most of what you say is tongue-in-cheek anyway. I bet the original post was hilarious.

Anyway, I agree that something had to happen for the stingray to attack. Steve was out of his element in the ocean. Not as agile or quick moving. That was his downfall, straying from his comfort zone.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Madame D said...

Anytime I want to make a nasty comment about it (but funny, always funny), I find some site where someone I know really liked him. Okay, I thought he was a complete tool, an ass, and felt bad for his wife and kids before he died.
Though, on a positive note, I'm really glad he didn't die in like a car accident. Because then I couldn't have nearly the amusing possibilities.

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home