Friday, September 15, 2006

What I Want To Do When I Grow Up

A couple of nights ago I was watching "Fight Club" for the umpteenth time. I just can't get enough of meatloaf with tits and the homoerotic beating of Jared Leto. Really brings the subtle points home does this movie.

But there's a scene in the car where Tyler Durden is challenging Ed Norton's character to name something he'd regret not doing if he were going to die immediately. Which is a matter of pressing concern as Durden is driving in the wrong lane head-on at other vehicles. At that point my initial answer would probably have been "I regret not having a clean pair of pants with me", but in a calmer moment I sometimes think of what ultimate goals are out there, things I'd like to do if there were no time or financial constraints. These tend to change from time to time, depeding on what I'm up to. Sometimes it's running the Boston Marathon, (which is probably out since that would undoubtedly lead to my death somewhere around Mile 22), to beating Ashton Kutcher to death with a shovel or to arranging for Ann Coulter to be assaulted by crazed Tibetan yaks.

Actually, that last one is pretty consistent. The only trouble is finding a Tibetan yak willing to get within 5' of Ann. Apparently they don't like the odor.

Anyway, one of the things that usually makes the list is thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail. This would require hiking roughly 2,130 miles and take at least 3 months, probably somewhat more. Before I had kids this would just have required a willingness to quit my job and start walking, but now I'd miss the little fuckers too much. Also the whole sex-with-the-wife thing. But someday I'd still like to try this. Plus you get neat nicknames from the other thru-hikers.

Someday, assuming I haven't pounded my knees into jelly, I'll give this a shot.

Anyone else feel like sharing their ambitions?

And Pud, we already know what you want to do with Alan Faneca.

13 Comments:

Blogger CP said...

Before I die, I will sky dive topless. It's really my only goal in life. I figure I will be falling so fast that the girls will be back in the perky zone. Then, I want pictures, lots of pictures.

and a towel for when I land...to mop up the blood.

CP.

12:11 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Travel to every continent.

Hike the Pacific Crest trail from end to end.

Watch a child, and then a grandchild graduate from college.

Ride across the country on a road bike.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

when I grow up I wanna climb the Andes mountain range so that when someone hands me one of those stupid lil mints (Andes, if you're having problems keepin up) I can say "Hey, I've been there"....

3:13 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

To watch cp sky dive. :)

7:32 PM  
Blogger Lady K said...

I'm having major surgery next month. After that, it's NO HOLDS BARRED, baby. LIFE is for the LIVING, and when I recover, I intend to WALK that walk. LIVE like I've never lived. I'm writing a song about it. wanna hear it?wanna hear it? LOL

1:28 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

lady k!!! write a song about it... LOL! I love that you said that. Still LOL...

7:33 PM  
Blogger Madame D said...

Miss Lissa-you know some dumbass would say "Where, the factory?"
Like I just did.

I'd like to get my Ph.D. Having spectacularly failed five different attempts at college, that's gonna take awhile.
Maybe by the time my son's ready, I'll be ready...

2:14 AM  
Blogger CP said...

I wanna hear the song!

CP.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Pud said...

DAMN! I don't get to share like the rest of the cool kids!

4:19 AM  
Blogger Phollower said...

Limpy- I have the same AT thru-hike goal. It's been one of my only life ambitions for years but, as you mentioned, it's tough to find the time/money/willingness to go without sex for 5 months. It'll be a few more years before I get to it as well. Let me know when you schedule your trip so we can go together and share mail drops. And after a few months without sex we may want to share male drops as well. Ummm, I believe I may have alienated yet another hiking partner.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I want to be a professional gamer. I don't want to work anymore. Also, I think professional gamers get really cool nicknames too.

I didn't watch "Fight Club", just watched it a couple weeks ago. You didn't watch "Kill Bill Vol. 1 & Vol. 2"?

10:53 AM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Just Vol. 1. I was at a ball game the next night.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

I also would love to thru hike the AT, but I couldn't bare to be apart from my beloved BP for that long. If I ever find myself single, that is the first thing I'm doing.

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home