Wednesday, October 18, 2006

More concert info

OK, I am putting aside the sheer agony I am in from a vicious head cold, (honestly, I did less whining when I had Lyme Disease, and I freely admitt hat I am porbably the world's biggest pussy when it comes to colds. They're not enough to stay out of work for but they are enough to just aggravate the hell out of you for 3-4 days), to spell out the rest of my musical extravaganza of late.

Monday night I journeyed up to the hallowed city of Boston to see the Supersuckers and Social Distortion. As you may have figured out by now I really like The Supersuckers, but Social D is one of the first bands I really got into when I discovered punk. And unlike bands like The Ramones or The Clash, Social D's lead singer, (and only consistent member of the band since the late 70's formation), Mike Ness, is still alive. Although the odds of him actually making it this far probably rival those of Keith Richards.

The concert was at a club called Avalon, on Landsdowne St. right behind Fenway Park. I drove all the way into he city, guided only by the giant Citgo sign, since for some reason there were no lights on at Fenway. And that last line was a lot funnier before the Yankees went down like a $2 whore to the Tigers, and don't think I don't know that. So there's plenty of parking, I buy a scalped ticket for face value, (another good reason to follow obscure bands: even sold-out shows won't cost you much), and get in just in time to buy a beer before the Supersuckers start their set.

Unfortunately, they were only on for about half an hour, since they were the opening act, and that sort of sucked. Then Social D took the stage, and I'll give them this, they played hard. But not for long. After Ness said, twice, that they would barely get warmed up in an hour and a half, they were done in less than an hour, then managed a two song encore. Look, I know you're getting up there in years, but if you've got a couple thousand hopped up fans screaming for every song, I would think you could stay for 90 minutes or so. That's about how long it took me to get to the show, so I don't think that's too much to expect. The music was great, the energy high, but much too short.

Which, come to think of it, is probably what my wife says with disturbing frequency.

8 Comments:

Blogger Lady K said...

LMAO! You could almost say it "supersucked" that they were only on 1/2 an hour. I have a cold, too. This change in weather does it every time.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

Pussy.

What would Mr. Gorey say about your cold, that's what I want to know!

"L is for Limpy who died from a cold and not Lyme disease."

10:18 PM  
Blogger Pud said...

Wow! You've become quite the groupie here lately following around all these bands.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Do you HAVE an immune system buddy?

All men are pussies about being sick.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Phollower said...

I'd call your wife lucky. The Spousal Unit gets the short part but completely misses out on the great, high energy portion of the alluded to event.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Shelli said...

LMFAO. Going to see Breaking Benjamin/Godsmack in Portland on Saturday night. Can't wait.

Thanks for passing on the head cold!

xo

10:01 AM  
Blogger Shelli said...

LMFAO. Going to see Breaking Benjamin/Godsmack in Portland on Saturday night. Can't wait.

Thanks for passing on the head cold!

xo

10:01 AM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Go Tigers.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home