Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Questionable Advertising

Last night I'm comfortably ensconced on the couch watching my beloved Yankees take a 1-0 series lead on the Detroit Tigers. Sorry Monk. I was rooting for the Tigers most of the year, but now they're up against the Yanks, and well, they have to go.

But I'm not writing about the game, thrilling though it may have been. Nope, in the middle innings there's an ad for Dunkin' Donuts. After a few seconds I place the guy doing the voice over. It's John Goodman, late of Roseanne, where he played the incredibly overweight Dan Connor. As opposed to the svelte Rosie. Anyway, John is going on about the new cookies at DD, and ends the commercial with their new tag line "America Runs on Dunkin' Donuts"

Listen, John Goodman doesn't run on anything, much less a handful of doughnuts. The guy sonded out of breath reading off the cue cards for the commercial! And I was wondering "what genius came up with the idea of getting a 300+ guy to do an ad for doughnuts?" It's like having Mel Gibson do a Budweisier voice-over.

"Thish ish th' famoth Budweisther beer. -Urp- 'Scuse me. Far as I know it's not made by Jews. -hic- Tha's why you should drink it, cuz America drives on Bud."

CUT!!!

10 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

You are demented!!!!

I haven't seen that particular ad, but I do enjoy the one with the song about human interest stories and how they won't keep me from my Dunkin Donuts bagel sandwich. The song is damn catchy.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Pud said...

So, we have a fat guy plugging donuts...we need Mel Gibson to plug alcohol...finally, we could use Lorraina Bobbitt to plug Ginsu knives. Then commercials would be worth watching.

6:21 AM  
Blogger DJ MotorCityMonk said...

That ad makes sense - ads for DD and Krispy Kreme can never pass as pro "healthy living". I can never drive thru a KK without purchasing and devouring 3-4 of those melt in your mouth heart attack time bombs.

You watch, tonight the Tigers and Verlander are going to kick some serious Yankee's ass! They're going to be loose and fighting for survival.

I predict a 9-7 Tigers win!

8:17 AM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

If it's 9-7 the Yankees will win. If Verlnader's on his game they'll get their one win 5-2.

8:25 AM  
Blogger its just ME said...

LMAO

9:34 AM  
Blogger eclectic said...

I'm for the Tigers, not that it matters to anyone. But, I'm just sayin. And I think Pud's onto something -- that might make ads more fun.

11:11 AM  
Blogger UnHoly Diver said...

Next thing you know, Mark Foley will be doing PSAs for stopping online predators...

11:17 AM  
Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

If DD were smart, they would have gotten Kate Moss to do the voice-over.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

*sigh* we don't have Dunkin Donuts here in Hell....so I haven't seen the commercial.

We miss out on all the good stuff down here. :(

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

too much!

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home