Friday, October 20, 2006

What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

In my continuing effort to keep you people update on "news you need to know", (an actual tagline from one of our local news shows up here, a;beit one that is rarely followed by anything more than 2-3 people actually need to know), I must bring this little tidbit of information your way.

Researchers at Duke University have developed what they call "an invisibility cloak". As opposed to a Cloak of Invisibility, because if they calle it that, the powers that be at Dungeons & Dragons HQ would sue the unholy bejesus out of them. Apparently they have a device, described somewhat oddly as "primitve", that hides objects by bending electromagnetic waves around an object "like water around a rock." I don;t know about you, but to me a primitive device is a rock tied to a stick and then used to persuade someone as to the validity of my position as opposed to there. A device that bends electromagnetic waves around me and my club so that my debating opponent never sees me coming, well, that's about three or four steps up from primitive.

Apparently this thing only works with microwave radiation, (Nonny is already trying to take her microwave apart as you read this), and only works on very small objects and only in two dimensions, but they think they're going to be able to move up to toaster size objects in all three dimensions very soon.

Clearly here's a device that will benefit millions with no possible adverse uses or abuses foreseeable at this time. I am very concerned about how various forces might use this for evil, but not as concerend as I am with this question: How do I get my hands on one of these??

8 Comments:

Blogger Madame D said...

I'm so glad that James Bond is their hero.
When the can hide an Aston Martin, let me know.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

You know I'm all over that. I could put that to great use. I could cloak my knives and shit and no one would see it coming. After this story I'm one step closer to my dream of world domination.

11:32 AM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Even if you DID get your hands on one of those, it'd make your hands disappear and then you'd be in deep shit. I mean, without your hands, you couldn't... um... nevermind.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

I can foresee that the women on Hartford are no longer going to be naked alone.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

Hmmmmm....would everything you put under the cloak be invisible as well?

You know.

For my next shopping trip.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Lady K said...

how cool would that be when solicitors come to the door?

6:34 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

I suspect the pressing question most of the REST of us have is "How do we keep Limpy from getting his hands on one of these things!?!"

9:52 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

You just made the list Tai.

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home