Wednesday, November 22, 2006

She Only Said That Because She Sucks Like One

I must admit to having a new MTV show that I've been watching. Found it clicking through the channels late the other night, so I'm not sure if it has a regular time or if so, when it is. It's called "Beauty and The Geek", and the premise is that they take a bunch of geeks and pair them off with some hot women who wear velcro tie shoes for a reason. The goal is for each partner to improve the other the most. The girls, for instance, teach the geeks that it's generally not a good idea to approach a group of women and say "Hey LAAAAADIIIIIEEEEES!!" in a nasally voice, and the guys teach the girls how to tie their own shoes, thereby moving them away from a lifetime of velcro dependency.

Now, putting aside my horror in realizing that at least three of the geeks look a lot like me, my favorite moment so far is when one of the girls is answering questions about our past Presidents. The question is "Who was president during the Civil War?" That's easy, right? Everyone knows it was Zachary Taylor.

OK, it wasn't Zachary Taylor, but I feel bad for the guy. No one ever talks about him.

So the braintrust chews on her lip and it's painfully apparent that she has no clue who won the Civil War, let alone who the president was. Eventually, she blurts out her guess.

"Hoover?"

Herbert Hoover. 31st President of the United States. Born in Iowa in 1874, nine years after the Civil War ended. President from 1928-1932. Widely reviled for his lack of response to the Great Depression. An excellent administrator, he returned to public service under Truman. He died in New York in 1964. He was also known as "The Hermit Author of Palo Alto", a fact that I didn't know until after giving the worng answer cost me a second victory on Jeopardy! But if they'd asked me who the president was during the Civil War, I would have looked up at once and said:

"Abraham Lincoln; Jesus Alex, that was easy" to which Alex would have replied, "Just wait eight years when they ask the same question of a retarded chick on an MTV show" and we all would have had a good laugh.

11 Comments:

Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

Hey, I don't need to go on tv to find geeks effen hawt. And I thought the president during the Civil War was Eddie Izzard. Silly me. I should have remembered that Eddie is British.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

They have no sharp corners on that show, don't they?

But, I am impressed that you are able to relate what the woman said, considering that she's hot. I fully expected you to only be able to tell cup size.

Good Job!

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeez, talk about a flashback....I remember having a pair of those Kangaroo Shoes. But then again, I was a CHILD when I wore them (and they had a cool pouch on the side for whatever I deemed special enough to carry in it)

~ SoozieQ
http://soozieq.wordpress.com/

10:51 AM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Soozie, I need a password to get onto your site.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to come to my new site, the old one I'm closing down.

You would have to have a Gmail email account and email me from that email account to get a password. Blogger Beta requires Gmail for *whatever* reason. I don't think you want to do that, so just come to my new digs:

http://soozieq.wordpress.com/

That's where I have been posting new entries anyway, not the old site.

5:05 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Hate to be the fly in your oatmeal here, Limp, but... on Jeopardy, Alex would have informed you that the unknown individual had been President during the Civil War. THEN, you would have ASKED, "Who was Abraham Lincoln?" I'm just sayin'.

Hey, Happy Thanksgiving and shit.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A lifetime of Velcro dependency? Geeks can tie show laces?

Hey, I think about Zackary Taylor. His home was In Louisville (where he’s also buried), a few blocks from my Aunt’s house. Every Thanksgiving, when I was a kid, one of my other aunts would walk with me down to old Zack’s house—the only exercise we had after eating all of that food.

Herbert Hoover? I surprised she knew he was a president!

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knowing that Herbert Hoover was the 31st president doen't make you a geek. It makes you a nerdy dweeb.

There's a fine line. ;)

Steve~

8:09 AM  
Blogger CP said...

I was on College Jeopardy a gazillion years ago.

I came in as a semi-finalist.

Tis my only claim to fame.

I'm not hot enough to be on Beauty and the Geek...but I am fucking smart, and married a hot geek.

That has to count for something.

CP.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Amichai said...

It could be a confusing question. Did they mean president of the union or of the confederacy. No one really thinks of Jefferson Davis, but technically, he was also a president during that time in the land we now call America.

Not that I support Davis, I'm just saying...

8:02 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

OK Guy, this show is not original to MTV. It was on Fox a couple seasons ago. They are currently showing season one on MTV (Oh yes, there is a season 2). Ashton Kutcher was the executive producer I do believe. I watched it during it's original run. The Geeks on season 2 are waaaay worse than the first season.

I may not know american history, but I sure as shit know television history :)

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home