Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Coming from Behind

In the sense that last night I was catching up on clutural events that I had missed when they first came out. Which of course means that HBO is showing "Brokeback Mountain" and last night they finally showed it at a decent hour so I could sit down with the missues and bone-up on my homosexual love stories. And don't think that's the last bad pun you're going to read here.

By "decent hour" I mean that HBO finally started the movie after I put the kids to bed. They'd been starting it at 7:30 before, making me change the channel before having to explain awkward facts of life to the children, about how sometimes people get really lonely and it's just too cold to go outside and chase down a sheep. Or a chicken. I worked on a poultry farm once, so what?

So at 9 we start watching and while I'm wondering what the writer was possibly thinking calling one of the characters "Ennis", leading to a series of jokes so obvious even I'm not going there, I'm also wondering why Heath Ledger insists on delivering his lines in a barely decipherable mumble, as though he had a dick in his ...oh, oh never mind.

Seriously, I'm sure the last line was supposed to be really important, but neither one of us could hear it.

Anyway, I thought the movie was overblown, (last one), and if it didn't have two guys as the love interest no one would have paid any attention to it. But I will bet you that the Wyoming Board of Tourism is just tickled shitless at how Wyoming is portrayed. Cold, empty, poor and bigoted. Kind of like Kansas, but with mountains.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too watched that film only because it had the Oscar buzz last year.
Well, I was disappointed.
I love yout take on it.
Too funny!
Also, your response to Steve Novak's blog is what brought me here...
Oprah or Ruben Studdard as the swamp thing? Hehe. You nailed it!

10:56 AM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

I liked the Sean penn one better, but thanks Alicia.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Montana's not too wild about it either.

11:25 AM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Only things in Montana are steers and queers, and I don't see no horns on Maggie's head.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the movie yet myself. My two gay cats did a reenactment of the movie for me last night in their new bed (just "spooning" though, they're both neutered) and I did snap a picture of that. That doesn't count as the same thing though, does it?

~SoozieQ

3:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Limpy. I haven’t seen the flic and now I really don’t play on it. Of course, I hadn’t planned on seeing it before I read your blog either.

3:57 PM  
Blogger CP said...

Thank God.

I think that movie was so overrated. It was good, yes, but Oscar worthy? Not so much.

CP.

5:02 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

STILL haven't seen it, although I think Heath Ledger is just as cute as a bug's ear, so I'm kinda surprised I haven't. Oh well, I've seen Wyoming, Montana, AND Kansas.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

Haven't seen it....

not gonna....

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen it, and if my husband has any say in it I won't see it - he's horrified by the whole thing. It doesn't look terribly interesting either, but I feel like I should see it because of all the hype about it, you know?

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMFAO! Your review is total /pun/ishment!

sounds like we've both recently been subjected to bad movies....at least you waited 'til it was on HBO.

4:44 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Montana- Where the men are men, and the sheep are scared.

We're thinking of putting it on the license plate..

6:35 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

This was the best review of this movie I've read. You nailed it!

I never had any desire to see this movie. Who wants to see something like that? I mean besides other gays I guess. I've heard from several people that the dialogue is hard to understand. Perhaps actions speak louder than words in this case.

7:08 AM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Well, a good movie is a good movie, subject matter be damned. Personally, I think people "horrified by the whole thing" should go see the movie. Might do them some good. People who aren't so horrified, well, they might find the movie kind of overrated.

Unless you're into hot man-on-man action, in which case the movie is probably criminally underrated.

7:56 AM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Maggie, will that proposed motto take over for "Take your dental floss farm and shove it up your ass hippie"?

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I called brotherman to see what he was doing for dinner on this Wednesday night, and said that I had a craving for the Taco Bell.

"NOOOOOO! They've RECALLED all the meat by-products from all the Taco Bell's in the country, it's been all over the NEWS and shit, and I don't think I'd eat there for quite awhile if I were you. I know I'M not eatin' there!"

Okay...New York...Arizona...how long do you think I have before my fuckup receptionist has till she gets the ecoli and keels over? She ate the shit YESTERDAY. NO KIDDING.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. after reading limpy's comment, I'm SO calling someone an "ass hippie" sometime soon.

The two words put together just made me giggle like a 12-year-old.

Kinda like "asshat." Without a doubt.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

I thought the movie was worth all of the hype and buzz. I saw it in the movie theatre, and I was impressed that Heath Ledger was able to mumble his lines and yet sound perfectly clear to me, too. I think that effect would get lost on a tv screen, though... I often put on the subtitles for dramatic movies (it ruins comedies). For me, the point wasn't that the film was about "gay cowboys" as it was about forbidden love. Until recently, I think there'd be the same sort of societal controversy about biracial relationships.

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were into "Homosexuality on the Range", pardner. However, I'll leave my bareback saddle horn joke for another time.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home