Thursday, January 11, 2007

I Am Not Afraid To Engage In Hyperbole

In the past, I've made hyperbolic statements that haven't proved true, or just in general turn out to be not such a hot idea. Things like "The Yankees will be unbeatable with Randy Johnson AND Alex Rodirguez", "I'm sure I'd be a great blogger", "Law school is a great way to spend three years", and "Sure, you can wear the strap-on this time". While all of those statements contain a certain amount on enthusiasm and exaggeration, most proved painfully mistaken. And of course there are others, but why list every single one? Although come to think of it "Of course I'll pull out in time!", probably should be up there. (Hey look, my kids!)

But that's not going to dissuade me from telling you that I have found The Greatest Rock 'N Roll Song Of All Time!! No sirree Bob! And not even by the Supersuckers either!

Here's the backstory. The other day, still carrying $100 my grandmother gave me for Xmas, and pissed off at the roof, the cars, (and now, old and in need of repair, The Furnace!), I decide I need to blow it. Since I've promised myself not to indulge in crack anymore, I decide to indulge in my other vices, reading, music and TV. So I invade a Borders store, beat up two beatniks sipping coffee and pretending to work on their lap tops and then buy the following:

1. The novel 'A Dirty Job' by Christopher Moore. Like my sense of humor? Like books about becoming the Angel of Death, or at least as assistant? You'll like this book. And pretty much anything else Moore writes.

2. DVD, Season 3 of 'Arrested Development'. To me it is simply criminal that this show was canceled. Hilarious.

3. And here it is. A CD by a band called The Hold Steady. The CD is called "Separation Sunday". here's the deal. I'm not really wild about most of it. The singer isn't much for singing. The lyrics sort of clash with the tunes. Some of it is harsh and annoying. But track 3, oh, track 3. "Your Little Hoodrat Friend" Made the whole CD worthwhile. Played it like 18 times straight. Can't recommend it enough. Go find it on iTunes or wherever you iPod-having fuckers hang out and download it. Or buy the whole CD. It's worth it.

PS From the mind of Syd, who apparently has limitless time to cruise the internet and find links, this should play the actual song. A side-note to some of my lazier readers, you will actually have to turn your speakers on to get the full effect.

The Hold Steady - ...

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Christopher Moore! He's got a new one out? Very cool. I'm feeding my habit!

I'll pass on the Hoodrat. I just ate.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I think this will let you hear it.

12:45 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

That's cute Syd. "Limpy's Crappy Music".

Nice work on the link though.

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I know those three cords on the guitar too!!! wow!

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should that have been "chords"? Shit!

1:15 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

If three chords were good enough for The Ramones, Maggie, then three chords are good enough for you.

1:53 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Syd's real name should be "Linky-Lou". And she's right, you know.

1:58 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

OK, eclectic votes no. Nice. Don't show up for weeks, then trash my music. I hope you're happy.

I'm going to assume that Jmeped was reading this in the bathroom.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Better than "Hey, whose kids are those, anyway!?!"

3:19 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Okay, I found you. Everytime I clicked, I was taken to some golfing blog. I broke down and googled, and voila.
That's all.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

So syd's your techie, huh?

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have speakers hooked up at work, so I'll have to check back... but I do have to say that I love, love, love Christopher Moore. He's hilarious. I just re-read The Stupidest Angel in honor of Xmas (well not just, that was a while ago, huh?).. but anyway, the zombie/IKEA scene? Classic. Makes me laugh every time.

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The name Syd still makes me think of Syd Barrett.

We have a place out here called Bookmans. They buy/trade/sell old books, CD's, games, and whatnot.

Dude. Really. I have a pack of old steel guitar strings and a box of books here, and I'm not afraid to use them.

10:49 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Actually Tai, my son is a really good athlete and a math whiz, so there's a DNA test in that kid's future.

RSG I fixed the problem. Turns out I spelled "blog" wrong. I'm special.

Pissy, Syd is my sensei. We have a lot in common. We both dig chicks.

SBG, the zombie/IKEA thing nearly made me soil myself. I think I've read 4 of Moore's books; they never disappoint.

Lady K, bring on those steel guitar strings! And real live bleeding fingers! OK, now I'm quoting Lucinda Williams.

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was never able to get into Arrested Development...

Not sure why excatly.

Steve~

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never realized how meaningless a life could be until you said this was your favorite song. Sit down. Let me bring you a beer.

12:20 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Who asked you anyway?

Oh, right, I did. Where's that beer?

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gave a copy of Christopher Moore's Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, to my priest last Christmas. This just goes to show you what kind of church I attend!

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, and I totally didn't intent to italicize anything but the title of the book.

4:02 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

That is a great book, probably my avorite of his.

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Limpy,

I'm bloghopping today and came over from Lady K.

I'll take your word for it; I can't get the link to work. Anyway, you have a funny blog and I enjoyed reading it today.

Ian
Stop by and say hello

11:30 AM  
Blogger Party Girl said...

"Arrested Development" sadly, I didn't get into this show until it hit syndication. Sad. It is truly brilliant writing and a great concept. Oh well. Call me late to the bus.

Party Girl

9:40 AM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

well, OK, you're "late to the bus"

8:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Limpy, for the song: it could be a theme for my life.

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home