Friday, March 02, 2007

And How Was Your Morning?

It's nearly 3 pm and I just got to work. I'm not the most timely of people under the most normal circumstances, but today even I called in and said "I'll be later than usual"

We had rain this morning. A lot of it. And the yard is frozen solid. And it sort of slopes towards the house. And water runs downhill. And we just finished the basement last year. All factors that point towards yours truly losing a battle with nature and spending a fun few weeks filling out insurance papers. But nature forgot to factor in one factor looming above all of the other issues, up to and including the immutable laws of physics.

My wife.

There was no way that HER basement was getting flooded. Oh no. I was rousted from bed at an ungodly hour of the morning. (Hey, 7:30 IS ungoldy the morning after your weekly poker game. Or, to be more accurate, the morning "of" your weekly poker game). While she chopped a hole through 4" of ice by the backdoor to open a drain, I was put in charge of lugging the sump pump out into the middle of the yard. Then getting 150' of extension cord and plugging it in while standing in 4" of water. Then getting an extra length of house and attaching it to the pump so we could reach the street.

Once that was done, we drained the whole side yard out across the street and into a field. The basement is bone dry. That rain never stood a chance.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that is one determined woman!
kicking natures butt!

12:27 PM  
Blogger Rat In A Cage said...

Good job, little minion!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

I can honestly write that 'hell hath no fury like a woman with a flooded basement'.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

And that took you all day?

3:26 PM  
Blogger mama biscuit said...

Well, thank goodness you had that extra length of hose....see, size does matter.

5:16 PM  
Blogger DJ MotorCityMonk said...

Did you ever fear electrocution? Now that would have been a bitch.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Party Girl said...

Roar!

That's what your wife says.


Me? I've been locked inside my apartment since Thursday morning. Rain. Ice. Snow. 60mph winds. And repeat.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

You're a journeyman plumber in the making.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Rainwolf said...

You make me happy I'm drunk. Sorry about the flood.

8:53 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

I have an even greater respect now for Mrs. Limpy.

Also? I like the tatt, and I know you've been awaiting my approval, so I'm pleased to grant it.

Also again? I was sitting in the hottub AND drinking wine. Are you spying?

11:03 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Actually Rhonda, Nature can kick her ass when it comes to walking in the woods; it's when Nature threatens the homestead that things get ugly.

Rat, I know my place, what can I say.

Maggie, yeah, I saw that when we first boguht the house. I'd rather not see it again.

RSG, yes, yes it did. When our yard floods, you could hatch trout.

Tysgirl, it wasn't so much the size of the hose that got the job done, but where I aimed it.

MCM, believe it or not, we actually considered that and took precautions. Which is rare for us. hence the two kids.

PG, sounds like you could use a drink. Or three.

Zoe, I once hooked up a sink, does that count?

JDR, some one had to. It was getting too big for its britches.

Rainwolf, glad I could help. I still can't figure out that plague game.

Eclectic, glad you like the tattoo. And no, I'm not spying. pay no attention to that clicking sound from the shrubbery. it's probably just mice, and certainly not a high speed camera.

8:11 AM  
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

i hope you got a bj for your labors. i'm all about the reciprocity.

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home