Thursday, March 15, 2007

The March Of Folly

Is actually a really good book by now dead historian Barbara Tuchman, and you should all go out and read it. But just read it in the bookstore. It's not like Barbara needs the royalties now anyway.

Of course, that's not what this is about, because if I were to write a blog about history and good books to read about history and how history continues to repeat itself and how we can all learn from it, my readership would consist of two or three pipe-smoking shut-ins with tweed jackets and patched elbows, rather than the current mix of all around degenerates and heavily armed lesbians. And of the two groups, guess which one is more fun?

No, this is for March Madness and my final four picks. Unfortunately, this year I did it too late to make much difference for you, because if history is any guide, (like how I worked that in? You can take the history major out of school, but you can't get him laid in a two-bit whorehouse with 50 cents, because he's still a huge nerd), my final four will have little or nothing in common with the four teams that actually make it.

So, with apologies to all those with routing interests in these teams, here are four teams who should be back on campus within the next week or so. Kansas, Florida, Ohio State and Texas, with Texas beating Kansas to win it all. Now if anyone needs me, I'll be at the bottom of the pool with the only kind of wood that doesn't float...Natalie Wood.

That was for Soozie.

17 Comments:

Blogger Big Pissy said...

I know NOTHING about "the final four"...that's basketball related~right?

But this post still made me laugh!

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMFAO @ what big pissy said!!!

and, while I'm familiar with the final four (I think it's sometimes played in Indy), I never can figure out who will win because I never even freakin' watch the games.

btw, is Bob Knight the coach for Texas? or do I have that Texas mixed up with another Texas?

10:22 AM  
Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

Hey, we pipe-smoking shut-ins need representation, too! If only I had a pipe....

12:41 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

I'm afraid of guns, but I'm still a fun lesbian!

But I don't know a damn thing about college basketball, not a thing.

1:25 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

Just when I'm *THIS* close to getting out of my first class ticket to hell, you go and throw me a bone like that?!?!

Which of course makes me laugh EVERY time.

And that right there pushes me to the front of the Hell-way Express line again.

Thanks. Thanks so much.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You Americans confuse me.

4:12 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Well, technically? "Wood" doesn't really float either, it just sort of slides.

What?? Was there another topic?

5:21 PM  
Blogger mama biscuit said...

March Madness?!?!

Sounds like a condition that can only be cured with large amounts of alcohol.

6:45 PM  
Blogger CP said...

ba-dum-dum.

natalie wood.

oy. you are so going to hell.

CP

7:58 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I was about to make a crack on being thankful that you are in Kris' league with me...to keep me off the bottom. Never mind. I suck.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

Boners don't float either...just sayin'. :)

Steve~

8:50 AM  
Blogger Party Girl said...

Hmmm, I think I fall somewhere between the tweedy, pipe smoking, arm chair lesbian, and a huge dork, reader of this here blog.
Cause I probably would still read the blog about the bomb shelter I can't use even if you wrote about history and all the books that write about how it repeats itself.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The March of Folly is a good read; so is The Guns of August. Both re preferable to NCAA basketball.

11:30 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

BP, clearly, judging from the pool results so far, I don't either.

Lil Sis, Bob Knight coaches Texas Tech. And lost in the 1st round.

Alkelda, corn-cob or ivory?

RSG, you can't be afraid of guns and link to Syd. You just can't.

TK, thanks.

Soozie, that's what I'm here for.

JDR, well, at least our toilets flush the right way.

Eclectic, listen, if you're going to introduce pesky "facts" into this blog, you can just leave right now!

Tysgirl, that or sex.

CP, if I go to hell for just that comment I'd be surprised.

Syd, you should see the comment I'm developing in response to your "keep me off the bottom" comment!

Steve, actually, according to this movie I just saw last night, they do seem to keep well in hot tubs. Or were they faking it?

PG, "tweedy, pipe smoking arm chair lesbian"? Wasn't that a movie?

Nick, Tuchman generally writes a good book. Or did anyway.

8:34 AM  
Blogger mama biscuit said...

I'm thinking a combination of the 2 would probably be good.

2:06 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

I like the way you think.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Lil Bit said...

And here I thought this was gonna be a post about us degenerates and heavily armed lesbians. LOL

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home