Monday, March 12, 2007

You Know What I Hate?

Yes, Ann Coulter, but that was obvious from the last post, and therefore if you guessed that you were just being lazy and receive no points.

No, what I hate at the moment is Daylight Savings Time. Never mind the fact that its three weeks early this year on the dubious proposition that it will save energy. I had read some estimates that it would save up to a million barrels of oil a day becuase we wouldn't have to turn the lights on until later, but when I was awakned by my wife's alarm clock, (which I have to remember to throw through a wall), at the ungodly hour of 6 am this morning, (and it's her day off!!!), I noticed that it was pretty damn dark and I'm reasonably sure that she turned on lights when she went downstairs.

Now, unlike Zoe, who hates DST becuase apparently she's from Indiana and they never had DST until a couple of years ago, (Yes, I could put a link in here, but Zoe's already on my list of links over on the right and you can just click on her name to get her take on DST and honest to Christ how lazy are you people anyway?), I hate DST every year, because it gyps me out of an hour of sleep. The day it changes I find myself up until 1 or 2 am, because, goddammit, it's really only midnight, and the next morning I'm up at 7, which is really six to me, and I've had four hours of sleep and I feel like shit so I roll over and fall back to sleep and then wake up at 8 becuase the dog just jumped on me and now I'm late and I skip my lifting and dash off to work only to find that my client meeting guy came in 40 minutes early, because apparently he's from Indiana or something and can't tell ANY kind of time, let alone Daylight Savings Time, and now it's almost 3, but I think it's 2 and it's going to take me a good week or so to get used to this.

But when we roll the clocks back, I'll get that great 1-2 weeks where I wake up at my usual time and then look at the clock and realize I can sleep another hour without fear of reprecussion. And that's something to look forward to.

18 Comments:

Blogger eclectic said...

Preach it, brother. I blame the time change for my apparent lack of reading ability this weekend, involving you, actually. Sooze will probably out me on this, so I'll leave the fun to her.

I don't care if it's standard or daylight, just friggin' PICK a time and for the love of all that's holy, LEAVE ME IN PEACE at whatever time it effing IS from that point forward.

1:04 PM  
Blogger mama biscuit said...

Man, who pissed in your corn flakes? Embrace the extra hour of light you get at the end of the day...all the better to show off your naked jogging skills.

p.s. quit breaking my blog!

2:10 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

See, I knew I was not alone in my hatred of DST. Give me a hard time will ya. I don't just hate it because I'm lazy. It mostly just doesn't make a damn bit of sense, and I'm still pissed off that we fell into DST.

It will take me much longer than a week to get used to it, and believe me I'll be grumpy. I'm losing an hour of sleep every night because I'm not tired at midnight and believe me, I'm not fucking ready to get up at 6:30 which really is 5:30. I spent all last summer thinking is it real time or DST, I couldn't wait until we went back to normal Indiana time. I should say Eastern and Central Indiana time because Northern and Southern Indiana have always been in different time zones that spring ahead and fall behind.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Today while we were eating dinner at 7:00 because i thought it was really 6:00, my daughter asked, "Why can't the farmers just get up earlier?"

She's right, but I told her that really it's a massive right wing conspiracy and I believe that Ann Coulter is the leader of it all...

10:24 PM  
Blogger Lady K said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Lady K said...

Yeah, let's try this one again:

I fucking HATE daylight savings time. Damn. I really should have posted about this. AZ NEVER knows what the fuck time it is in other states. Two hours? Three hours? ONE for CA, or SAME?

WE and parts of Indiana, from what I've heard, are damned to eternal confusion. What is WRONG with the rest of the country? Either it's LIGHT or DARK in the morning at certain times of the year. ???

10:53 PM  
Blogger Pud said...

Why is it that the U.S. changed DST before all other countries in the world? I still can't wrap my brain around it.

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last year Indiana started springing forward and falling back. It's too weird because in the summer it's still dark at 6:00 a.m. then still light until 10:00 p.m., making it impossible to fall asleep at a decent time then making it impossible to wake up on time. I'm used to nice bright summer mornings to make my lazy self bounce outta bed no later than 5:30 a.m. I hate sleeping in.

Also, it's a pain in the ass because I think the rest of the country finally understood that Indiana didn't change times, then we started changing times. We were just fine the way we were, and in the summer we could watch the Daily Show an hour earlier....go figure.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Party Girl said...

I actually remembered to turn my clocks back the night before, which was a shocker. I love it when I forget to do that and wow! Did my Sunday go by quickly.
Anywho. My biggest problem thus far has been that it is dark out in the morning and therefore I think I am running early in my morning routine, but actually I have been running 20 minutes late each morning.

...cause it's dark out.
At the ass crack of dawn, it's still dark out. Just giving you all a heads up on that. You're welcome.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

It also sucks that instead of sitting my fat ass down on the sofa when I get home, there is plenty of daylight left to be DRAGGED outside for some fucking chore or another.

2:09 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Eclectic, can't wait to hear that story. I'll let you pikc the time though.

Tysgirl, actually, it's oatmeal, not cornflakes.

JDR, actually, that's the only benefit. "Look kids, it's 8 o'clock!"

Zoe, Indiana has four time zones? What's with you people?

RSG, Your daughter isn't in 4-H is she?

Lady K, am I to understand that AZ refuses to use DST? Good for them.

Pud, allegedly we're doing it to save a million barrels of oil a day. Your guess is as good as mine if that's true.

Lil Sis, I just watch TDS at 8 pm. Solves the whole problem.

PG, "I'm so horny the crack of dawn better be careful around me"--Tom Waits.

Syd, since DST is largely the fault of you farmers, you get zero sympathy from me.

8:27 AM  
Blogger tkkerouac said...

Sleep is so underated!

9:51 AM  
Blogger puerileuwaite said...

Enough! You had me at "I hate Ann Coulter".

3:21 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

You know what homie, you need to stop knockin' the DST.

Trust me, don't fuck with the DST, or the DST will fuck you up.

(I don't know what any of that was supposet to mean)

Steve~

3:27 PM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

Does anybody like Ann Coulter?

or DST, for that matter...

9:06 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

TK, yes, indeed it is. But then, so is shotgunning tequila.

Pug, true dat.

Steve, the DST has already fucked me up. Therefore, I have nothing left to lose. Which is another way to say "freedom", according to my friend Bobby McGee.

BP, no, no one likes either.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OK, DLST is a pain in my ass, but not as much now as when I lived in Indiana where they never changed. I kept forgetting what time it was east and west of me. I needed up arriving at meetings either 2 hours early or an hour late.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Lil Bit said...

There *is* a solution, y'know... go to bed an hour earlier. Duh. ;P
LOL

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home