Monday, May 14, 2007

Weekend Update

As you all know, that case from hell was withdrawn on Frdiay night, so I had a free weekend. Well, as free as any weekend that wraps around Mother's Day is ever going to get. So Saturday we just goofed off and ran erands. My son went fishing and caught a 14" bass, which I found in the bathtub, in pretty good health, when I got home later that day. He had been named Spike. Later on Spike wound up gutted and grilled. Tough day for him. Tasted pretty good though.

I went to the mall, which I dread doing, but I need new glasses. I broke my other pair and am using an older set to drive with now, and doing without when I'm not driving. I won't be able to get a new set for a week or so since the style of glasses I had is now discontinued. I'm getting used to seeing things through a fuzzy glow. It reminds me of college. Also my wife hates the old pair of glasses and my son is calling me a nerd when he sees me wearing them.

Then I had to go to Men's Wearhouse and get a couple of new suits. One of my suits has been in service since shortly after law school, and that was 13 years ago. None of the others are younger than 3 years old. I walk in dressed for yardwork and the salesman asks me what occasion I need a suit for. "Work" I reply. He clearly doesn't believe me, (because after all, how often does a garbage man need to put on a suit?), and asks what it is I do. "I'm an attorney", I reply, and you should have seen the change in their approach. Immediately I had two salespeople dedicated solely to finding me a suit. And shoes. And shirts. And ties. And, believe it or not, socks. I took two suits, (thank you poker gods), smiled politely at the rest and beat feet out of there. Now I should be set for another three years.

A quick stop at the CD store and it's time for more musical recommendations. I picked up a live CD from an Austin based "roots rock", (feel free to translate that as country with loud guitars), band called Reckless Kelly. Pretty good all the way around. Sounds like the kind of band you'd spend a night listening to, stomping on tabels while drinking too many long-necks, and if you're lucky, waking up the next morning next to some slim young thing in a T-shirt and a smile. Or, if you're me, waking up next to the dog because you didn't get in until 6:30 am and your wife is already up.

Here's a brief outtake from one of their little ditty's called "Crazy Eddie's Last Hurrah"

Well it sure didn't take too long/When I woke one morning she was gone/And the note that she left didn't say "good job"/It said "Good-bye fucker I'm gone!
Seriously, how can you not sing that at the top of your lungs. I'll bet Syd's adjusting her iPod as we speak.

Sunday was Mother's Day, so I was pledged to redoing our landscaping. To help cut down our extremely large, and very dead, lilac bush, my wife went to the store to procure a new saw, since I broke our old one last year. She came back with a pruning knife. The store closes early on Sunday. I spent the afternoon taking apart a lilac bush, (and the dead branches off an old apple tree), with a pruning knife. For anyone considering this, my advice is don't. By tomorrow I might be able to lift my arms. Which also look like I stuck them in a weed-whacker's path for fun.

Then I drank beer and watched the Sopranos.

11 Comments:

Blogger eclectic said...

3 years? Gee, you said the last suit lasted 13. Just don't make 'em like they used to, eh? Either way, I think we need photos of you modeling the new suits.

Yes, we do.

Stop arguing and just take the photos already.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Lady K said...

I'm too dizzy to really comment. You were all OVER the place on this one. :-D

Loving the change of attitude at the Men's Warehouse. Judgemental people suck.

11:01 AM  
Blogger The Q said...

I kinda want to see the nerd glasses! Or a chicken leg sticking out of the rolled up pant leg of your new suit. Whatever, I'm easy.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Lil Bit said...

um, fish, eyeglasses, suits, CDs, lilac bushes...
Damn, hand me a beer. LOL!

1:36 PM  
Blogger mama biscuit said...

If I were you I wouldn't argue with eclectic- I've heard from reliable sources that she's buff- she could probably kick your ass Limpy!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

You and your obscure music...

6:06 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

What kind of beer?

9:20 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Eclectic, yes, but I rotate suits. Some are old, some are newer. I replace two at atime when they wear out. You're sorry you asked now aren't you?

Lady K, yeah, I tend to ramble. That did crack me up. From slob to possible huge commission in 2.4 seconds.

Soozieq, you really, really don't. You're gonna have to trust me on this one.

Lil, Bit, it was that kind of weekend. And we didn't even cover the marshmallow roast Saturday night!

Tysgirl, please, I could totally kick her ass. And I'm not just saying that becuase she lives 3,000 miles away. OK, that's exactly why I'm saying that.

Syd, it's either this or Steely Dan. You choose.

RSG, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Sam Adams Lager. Feel free to ship more.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Rat In A Cage said...

Do you think the pruning knife was an error or some payback for making her wait a year?

What a lovely present - days of arm pain. You really do love her!

Sad that the Yanks moved into sole possession of 2nd by NOT playing.

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you break a saw?!

4:48 AM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Rat, no payback. I had taken some of it down last year anyway. But yeah, she's worth the arm pain.

JDR, simple, you get an old one from a friend and then the screws holding the handle to the blade snap.

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home