Monday, March 03, 2008

Now I've Gone And Done It

OK, so I was going to slander Alabama this weekend, or at the very least point out that the whole region down yonder there will soon be engaged in a second civil war over water rights and that, if the rest of us play our cards right, we can turn the whole state into a sort of "Mad Max" theme-park. But then I decided to quit my job instead.

Since I left law school, I've worked for 5 firms/companies in 14 years. Which means that I am either a)gloriously incompetent, b)an incredible asshole who can't get along with anyone for more than a year or so, c)somewhat restless and determind to get as much money for my work as I possibly can, or d) all of the above.

If you guessed d, well, fuck you! I am not an asshole!

The early years were basically me hopping from the first job that paid really well, (really, really well) but provided me with no experience and a definite ceiling to any earning potential, to another job working for an all-but-certified lunatic, (lasted 8 months and the last two of those he was on notice that I was leaving but I agreed to stay so he didn't have to cancel his wedding. That woman, incidentally, should be canonized immediately), to a great job that I lvoed until we started having kids and realized what things cost, to another job that paid well but where I was doomed pretty much from Day 1 when I laughed at a senior partner, to this job, where I've toiled for the last 8-9 years.

The decision was not easy. I like the people I work for. They pay well and the benefits are very good. Truth be told the benefits are probably better than where I'm going, but my kids don't really need braces anyway. The pay is comparable, although at least at first I may make a little less. At my present job I pretty much have carte blanche to come and go as I please. I run the office when the main guy isn't here. Hell, I have access to the checkbook, which shows remarkably poor judgment on someone's part. Anyone want a ride in a Porsche? (Seriosuly, it just took me three tries to spell Porsche, which should tell you just how unfamiliar I am with luxury cars.)

So why leave and start over? The official reason is the commute and travel. We moved our office recently, and while I have a kick ass view of a pond with ducks and geese, (some of them dead), and snow-covered hills, it's significantly farther away from my house. It's just becoming a pain in the ass to drive that far twice a day. Also, we cover the entire state, and most of our business, for whatever reason, for the last couple of years, seems to have shifted downstate. That means frequently driving 130 miles just to attend a 30 minute court conference, and let me tell you, that gets old real fucking fast. Mostly though, I've become, over the last couple of years, increasingly concerned about the overall direction the company is taking in Connecticut. I don't see a committment to increase business here, and I've seen a dramatic drop-off in my workload. While that's great for a general screw-off like me in the short-term, in the long-term I'm not as optimistic about where this job will be.

Regarding that issue, I want to be wrong about that. I want this firm and the people I'm leaving behind to see things pick-up and stay busy and more importantly, get paid like they deserve. I will truly miss them and this place. But I can't ignore my own thoughts, and they're telling me its time to move on to the next phase. And so it goes.

So for the next week and a half, (I gave two weeks notice but I have about 40 hours of carry-over personal time from the last 9 years and I'm using some of it), I'll be trying to make sure that my files aren't a complete horror show for whichever poor bastard inherits them. And, of course, trying to kite as many checks as I can.

EDITOR'S NOTE: I just filled out my exit survey. How much does anyone what to bet that that was the first survey that ended with a quote from Douglas Adams? For the insatiably curious, the quote was "So long, and thanks for all the fish"

17 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

I'm sure the ducks (even the dead ones)will miss you, too.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Reasonable train of thought. I know you'll do well. You're a good man, Limpy.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

Sounds like it's going to be a good move for you, even if you no longer have a view.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Ookami Snow said...

"If you guessed d, well, fuck you! I am not an asshole!"

I loled, and I don't lol much... not that I am lolless, I just am more of a lih (laugh in head) guy.

Good luck on the new job.

1:26 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Taking the Washington Bar exam, by chance? I know this little boutique firm...

Best wishes, Limpster. Not with the job change, just y'know... with the embezzlement charges.

1:35 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

Whatever happened to that one goose? Wasn't your brother's girlfriend going to save it or something? Please don't tell me it died, just lie to me if need be.

Good luck with the new job!

2:29 PM  
Blogger mama biscuit said...

Can you believe I can't think of a single smart ass thing to say?

I'm sure giving your notice today was not easy, but it sounds like it was the right thing to do. I have every confidence you'll do great and I wish you the best.

My evil twin will return tomorrow.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Party Girl said...

In regards to those checks and the person with incredibly poor judgment who left you with blank ones....this girl could use some help in the student loan department and in the, funds to Brazil department. (Summer internship, not the pubic area)(...although....)

So, if you could make a check out for say, several thousand in care of me, that'd be awesome. Thanks in advance...and in the latter.

...and on the latter, congrats on your new job and for listening to your instincts, even with sometimes that sucks much.

8:24 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Tai, nah, they just fly in and out. Total migrants.

Thanks Syd.

Zoe, it will be a good move, but the new view is going to blow.

ookami, good to hear I got an LOL then.

Eclectic, I'll look to you for my upcoming criminal defense needs.

Q, um, we sent it to a farm where it could play with other ducks? Actually, the duck disappeared. One day it was outside our windows, the next day it was gone. I walked the whole pond and didn't see it again. I prefer to think it found a happy home somewhere, but in reality, I'm pretty sure a fox got it. Oh well, foxes gotta eat too.

Tysgirl, I'm sure you can think of something, it's just that deep down you're too sweet to say it.

PG, got it. You just made the embezzlement list. The whole "I did it so this chick I know from the internet could either get a Brazilian or go to Brazil" defense is just too irresistible to resist. Or something like that.

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a the perfect example of why you will be successful in whatever you do, you're not afraid of change.

I'm proud of you. But, now I sound like a Mom.
Sorry...

4:08 AM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Aww, thanks Mom.

9:26 AM  
Blogger I'm not here. said...

I was thinking:
e)not enough cowbell

*well-wishes and hugs*

10:22 AM  
Blogger mama biscuit said...

Yesterday I'm a smart ass, today I'm sweet?

Hmmm, what will I be tomorrow?

1:44 PM  
Blogger Callie said...

I'm going to have to remember the Douglas Adams quote on my next exit review. That's classic!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Yea, I've decided that my girls aren't going to band camp either.

Congrats on the new job! You'll do really well.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

The universe abhors a vacuum. You will have more opportunities than you know what to do with; probably three or four I would guess!

If you need some ideas of how to fill up your free time I have a few to offer:

You could write a response for me,

Or you could put on your Moot Court Judge Robe and prance around playing guitar hero or singing karoke. That would be fun.

Good luck Limpy, you'll do just fine, I'm quite certain!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Sugar Smacks said...

That Douglas Adam's quote was what the dolphins said to us earthlings when they took off and left us here on earth to perish. All the tricks they did for fish was them trying to tell us to run for cover.

I'm not wishing your ex-company perishes without you.

But wouldn't be just a wee bit satisfying if it did? Just a little?

I guess I am a small person...

Congratulations on the big change Limpy, it takes cojones.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home